Dr Robert C Atkinson
I am a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, University of Strathclyde.
Currently teaching the following courses:
- EE106 Engineering Design For Software Development
- EE471/EE971 Communications Networks
Main interests include machine learning with specific emphasis on industrial application, and heterogeneous networking. I have been involved in a wide range of projects in wireless communications:
- Secure High Availability avionics Wireless Networks (2013 - 2015). Collaboration with GE Avionics to design and implement a secure wireless network for civilian aircraft.
- Light as a Service (2013 - 2015). Collaborating with Cisco in the utilisation of advanced computer networking protocols to intelligently control indoor lighting.
- Operation & Maintenance Decision Support Analytics for Offshore Wind Generation (2013). The application of machine learning algorithms for fault recognition in wind turbine systems.
- Scalable Non-invasive Radiometric Wireless Sensor Network for Partial Discharge Monitoring in the Future Smart Grid (2013 - 2018). Utilisation of a network of sensor nodes to detect and locate incidence of partial discharge in electrical substations.
- Deep Packet Inspection (2012 - 2015): implementation of novel parallelised algorithms for snooping on packet streams at gigabit rates.
- Intelligent Network Selection from an Economic Perspective (2010 - 2013). Utilisation of game theoretical approaches to understand market behaviour for network selection.
- Autonomic Networking For 4G Handover Optimisation (2010 - 2013). Using machine learning algorithms to optimise handover parameters between 4G cells.
- Portable WLAN Infrastructure And Wireless Wide Area Backhaul Solution (2009): Development of wireless communications infrastructure to permit off-site connectivity to nomadic special interest groups.
- Calnex (2009): Investigation into the appropriateness of test profiles for IEEE 1588 Precision Time Protocol. This project is run jointly with Calnex.
- Mobile Virtual Centre for Excellence in Personal and Mobile Communications (MVCE): Flexible Networks Programme (2009 - 2010). This initiative is examining mechanisms to permit future cellular network architectures to be more flexible in response to divergent demands placed upon it by multiple stakeholders: subscribers, service providers, equipment manufacturers and regulators etc. Specific areas on investigation include multihoming/multipath routing, network coding techniques and network virtualisation approaches.
- WIDAGATE (2008). This industrially focussed initiative is aimed at characterisation of the wireless channel within an aircraft gas turbine engine as a precursor to the deployment of a wireless sensor network in this environment.
- Multinet: Enabler for next generation service delivery (2005 - 2008). The FP6 funded project examined the benefits of a multihomed, wireless-enabled, mobile network. The project leveraged many of the outputs of the Nautilus6 project for Multiple Care-of Address and Flow Binding implementations. Intelligent network selection algorithms were designed to operate across the multihomed network. Partners in this project included Thales, Wind, Innovalia, Eurecom, Universidad Politecnica de Valencia, and Euskaltel.
- ITI Techmedia: Ultrawideband (2005-2006). This intensive, industrial, research programme focussed on the interworking of ultrawideband infrastructure.
- Mobile Virtual Centre for Excellence in Personal and Mobile Communications (MVCE): The Personal Distributed Environment (2002 - 2005). This initiative examined the interworking of a user's various wireless-enabled devices that may be located at many different physical locations. The central objective was to develop a single, user-centric, virtual network spanning several physical networks. The virtual network included inherent intelligence for informed service delivery to the constituent devices. This research was conducted in close collaboration with the industrial members of MVCE, and in particular Samsung and Fujitsu who co-authored some of the resultant research papers.
- Mobile Virtual Centre for Excellence in Personal and Mobile Communications (MVCE): Interworking of Networks (2002 - 2005). This initiative investigated modifications to existing cellular and DvB networks to permit loose coupling and hence co-operatve service delivery.
- Mobile Virtual Centre for Excellence in Personal and Mobile Communications (MVCE): Networks (1999 - 2002). This research focussed mainly on Dynamic Channel Allocation mechanisms for intelligent assignment of cellular carriers to location where demand is highest thus enabling increased system capacity.
- Image-based Monitoring for Early Detection of Fouling in Crystallisation Processes, C Tachtatzis, R Sheridan, C Michie, RC Atkinson, A Cleary, I Andonovic, N Briggs, A Florence, J Sefcik, Elsevier Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 133, September 2015, pp. 82 – 90, DOI: 10.1016/j.ces.2015.01.038.
- Radiometric Wireless Sensor Network Monitoring of Partial Discharge Sources in Electrical Substations, Y Zhang, D Upton, A Jaber, H Ahmed, B Saeed, P Mather, P Lazaridis, A Mopty, C Tachtatzis, R Atkinson, M Judd, MFQ Vieira, and I Glover, International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, Vol. 2015, September 2015, DOI: 10.1155/2015/438302.
- Channel Estimation and Transmit Power Control in WBANs with IEEE 802.15.6 Scheduled Access, F Di Franco, C Tachtatzis, RC Atkinson, I Tinnirello, and IA Glover, IET Wireless Sensor Systems, Vol. 4, Issue 5, pp. 1 - 9, February 2015, DOI: 10.1049/iet-wss.2013.0070.
- Auction-based Network Selection in a Market-based Framework for Trading Wireless Communications Services, J Konka, I Andonovic, C Michie, and R Atkinson, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 63, No. 3, pp. 1365 - 1377, March 2014, DOI: 10.1109/TVT.2013.2280344.
- Development and validation of a Simulator for Wireless Data Acquisition in Gas Turbine Engine Testing (WIDAGATE), X Dai, JE Mitchell, Y Yang, I Glover, K Sasloglou, R Atkinson, I Panella, J Strong, W Schiffers, and P Dutta, IET Wireless Sensor Systems, Vol. 3, No. 3, August 2013, DOI: 10.1049/iet-wss.2012.0064.
- An Advanced SOM Algorithm Applied to Handover Management within LTE, N Sinclair, D Harle, IA Glover, J Irvine, and R Atkinson, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology (special issue on self-organizing networks), Vol. 62, No. 5, pp. 1883 - 1894, June 2013. DOI: 10.1109/TVT.2013.2251922.
- Economics of Intelligent Selection of Wireless Access Networks in a Market-Based Framework: A Game-Theoretic Approach, J Konka, J Irivine, and R Atkinson, IARIA International Journal on Advances in Networks and Services, Vol. 5 No. 3 & 4, December 2012, ISSN: 1942-2644.
- Wireless Communication Networks for Gas Turbine Engine Testing, X Dai, K Sasloglou, R Atkinson, J Strong, I Panella, LY Cai, H Mingding, AC Wei, I Glover, JE Mitchell, W Schiffers, and P Dutta, International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, Vol. 2012, March 2012, DOI: 10.1155/2012/212876.
- Policy Based Mobility & Flow Management for IPv6 Heterogeneous Wireless Networks, C Shen, W Du, R Atkinson, and KH Kwong, Springer Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 62, No. 2, January 2012, DOI: 10.1007/s11277-010-0056-y.
- RAID 6 Hardware Acceleration, M Gilroy, J Irvine, and R Atkinson, ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems, Vol. 10, No. 3, November 2011.
- Estimation of Impulsive Noise from Measurements in a 400 kV Electricity Substation, Q Shan, IA Glover, R Atkinson, SA Bahatti, IE Portugues, PJ Moore, R Rutherford, MFQ Vieira, AMN Lima, and B Alencar de Souza, IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 53, No. 3, August 2011, pp. 653-663
- A Mobility Framework to Improve Heterogeneous Wireless Network Services, C Shen, R Atkinson, J Irvine, and D Pesch, International Journal of Ad Hoc and Ubiquitous Computing, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp 60-69, January 2011, DOI: 10.1504/IJAHUC.2001.037854.
- Automated Protocol Selection For Energy Efficient WSN Applications, C Shen, S Harte, E Popovici, B O'Flynn, R Atkinson, A Ruzzelli, IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 21, pp. 1098-1099, October 2009, DOI: 10.1049/el.2009.1217.
- Detection Of Super-High-Frequency Partial Discharge By Using Neural Networks, Q Shan, S Bhatti, IA Glover, R Atkinson, R Rutherford, Insight - Nondestructive Testing And Condition Monitoring, Vol. 51, No. 8, pp. 442-447, August 2009, DOI: 10.1784/insi.2009.51.8.442.
- QoS-Aware Network-Supported Architecture to Distribute Applications Flows Over Multiple Network Interfaces for B3G Users, Q Wang, T Hof, F Filali, R Atkinson, J Dunlop, E Robert & L Aginako, Springer Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 48, No. 1, pp 113 - 140, January 2009, DOI: 10.1007/s11277-007-9424-7 .
- Effect of Co-phasing Diversity on CDMA Downlink Capacity, F Tong, RC Atkinson, IA Glover, SR Pennock & PR Shepherd, IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 13, pp. 786-788, June 2008, DOI: 10.1049/el:20080323.
- Design and Evaluation of Flow Handoff Signalling for Multihomed Mobile Hosts in Wireless Overlay Networks, Q Wang, R Atkinson & J Dunlop, Elsevier Computer Networks, Vol. 52, No. 8, pp 1647-1674, March 2008, DOI: 10.1016/j.comnet.2008.02.005.
- The Personal Distributed Environment, R Atkinson, J Irvine, S Vadgama & J Dunlop, IEEE Wireless Communications, pp 62-69, April 2007, DOI: 10.1109/MWC.2007.358966 .
- Interferometric Noise Characterisation of a 2-D Time Spreading Wavelength Hopping OCDMA Network Using FBG Encoding/Decoding, C Michie, I Andonovic, R Atkinson, Y Deng, J Szefer, C Bres, Y Huang, I Glesk, P Prucnal, K Sasaki, & G Gupta, Journal of Optical Networks, vol. 6(6), pp. 663-676, June 2007, DOI: 10.1364/JON.6.000663.
- Comparison of ISMA and DECT-DCS Channel Access Policies for Indoor Wireless Communications Systems, R C Atkinson & J Dunlop, IEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 36, No. 15, pp. 1307-1309, July 2000, DOI: 10.1049/el:20000921.
- Localisation of Partial Discharge Sources Using Radio Fingerprinting Technique, ET Iorkyase, C Tachtatzis, RC Atkinson and I Glover, Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference 2015 (LAPC2015), Loughborough, UK, November 2015.
- Multiple Source Localization for Partial Discharge Monitoring in Electrical Substation, Y Zhang, D Upton, A Jaber, H Ahmed, U Khan, B Saeed, P Mather, P Lazaridis, R Atkinson, MFQ Vieira and IA Glover, Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference 2015 (LAPC2015), Loughborough, UK, November 2015.
- Cyber-Physical-Security Model for Safety-Critical IoT Infrastructures, X Bellekens, A Seeam, K Neiradzinska, C Tachtatzis, A Cleary, R Atkinson, and I Andonovic, Wireless World Research Forum (WWRF35), Copenhagen, Denmark, October 2015.
- Challenges of Security and Trust In Avionics Wireless Networks, RN Akram, K Markantonakis, S Kariyawasam, S Ayub, A Seeam, and R Atkinson, IEEE/AIAA Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC), Prague, Czech Republic, September 2015, pp. 1 – 26, DOI: 10.1109/DASC.2015.7311582.
- A Comparison of Contact Measurement and Free-space Radiation Measurement of Partial Discharge Signals, A Jaber, P Lazaridis, Y Zhang, D Upton, H Ahmed, U Khan, B Saeed, P Mather, R Atkinson, M Judd, MFQ Vieira, and IA Glover, International Conference on Automation and Computing, Glasgow, UK, September 2015.
- Radiometric Monitoring System for Partial Discharge Detection in Substation, Y Zhang, JM Neto, D Upton, A Jaber, U Khan, B Saeed, A Ahmed, P Mather, R Atkinson, JS Neto, MFQ Vieira, P Lazaridis and I Glover, URSI Radio Science Conference, Gran Canaria, Spain, May 2015, DOI: 10.1109/URSI-AT-RASC.2015.7302823.
- A Decision Support Framework for Proactive Maintenance of Water and Wastewater Systems, K Neiradzinska, C Tachtatzis, R Atkinson, J Konka, A Seeam, L Stankovic, I Andonovic, R White, and A Cleary, World Water Congress XV – International Water Resources Association (IWRA), Edinburgh, UK, May 2015.
- Approximating Equilibrium in the Digital Marketplace, J Konka, C Michie, I Andonovic, and R Atkinson, IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC 2015 Spring), Glasgow, UK, May 2015.
- Data Remanence and Digital Forensic Investigation for CUDA Graphics Processing Units, X Bellekens, G Paul, JM Irvine, C Tachtatzis, RC Atkinson, T Kirkham, and C Renfrew, IEEE/IFIP Workshop on Security for Emerging Distributed Network Technologies (DISSECT 2015), Ottawa, Canada, May 2015.
- Signal Conditioning Electronics for UHF Partial Discharge Detection and Location System, DW Upton, PJ Mather, Y Zhang, A Jaber, H Ahmed, U Khan, B Saeed, MFQ Vieira, R Atkinson, and IA Glover, URSI Festival of Radio Science, December 2014.
- A Highly Efficient Memory Compression Scheme for GPU-Accelerated Intrusion Detection, XJA Bellekens, C Tachtatzis, RC Atkinson, C Renfrew, T Kirkham, ACM International Conference on Security of Information Networks (SIN ’14), Glasgow, UK, September 2014.
- GLoP: Enabling Massively Parallel Incident Response Through GPU Log Processing, XJA Bellekens, C Tachtatzis, RC Atkinson, C Renfrew, T Kirkham, ACM International Conference on Security of Information Networks (SIN ’14), Glasgow, UK, September 2014.
- Image-based Monitoring of Encrustation in the Crystallisation Process, C Tachtatzis, R Sheridan, C Michie, J Sefcik, RC Atkinson, A Cleary, and I Andonovic, 3rd Annual EPSRC Manufacturing the Future Conference, Glasgow, UK, September 2014.
- Radiometric Location of Partial Discharge Sources for the Future Smart Grid, JM Neto, Y Zhang, M Judd, R Atkinson, J Soraghan, JS Neto, MF Queiroz Vieira, and I Glover, IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting, Memphis, Tennessee, USA, July 2014.
- Plausibility of Incoherent Detection for Radiometric Monitoring of Insulation Integrity in HV Substations, JM Ramos de Souza Neto, ECT de Macedo, JS da Rocha Neto, MF Queiroz Vieira, IA Glover, MD Judd, R Atkinson and J Soraghan, Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference 2013 (LAPC2013), Loughborough, UK, November 2013.
- Investigation of GPU-based Pattern Matching, X Bellekens, I Andonovic, RC Atkinson, C Renfrew and T Kirkham, 14th Annual Post Graduate Symposium on the Convergence of Telecommunications, Networking and Broadcasting (PG Net 2013), Liverpool, UK, June 2013.
- Parameter Optimization for LTE Handover using an Advanced SOM Algorithm, N Sinclair, D Harle, IA Glover, J Irvine, and RC Atkinson, IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2013-Spring), Dresden, Germany, June 2013.
- Radio Location of Partial Discharge for the Future Smart Grid, IA Glover, JMR de Souza Neto, SA Bhatti, JS da Rocha Neto, MF Vieira, R Atkinson, M Judd and JJ Soraghan, International Conference on Radar Communications and Computing (ICRCC2012), Tiruvannamalai, India, December 2012.
- Radio Science and Wireless Communications for the Smart Grid, IA Glover, JMR de Souza Neto, S Bhatti, JS da Rocha Neto, MF Vieira, R Atkinson, M Judd and JJ Soraghan, International Conference on Computers and Devices for Communications (CODEC2012), Kolkata, India, December 2012.
- Performance Simulations of WLAN and Zigbee in Electricity Substation Impulsive Noise Environments, S Bhatti, I Glover, Q Shan and R Atkinson, IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications, Tainan City, Taiwan, November 2012.
- Measurements of MIMO-UWB Indoor Channel, G Tsao, P Lyamu, L Petropolakis, R Atkinson, I Andonovic, I Glover, International Symposium on Signals, Systems and Electronics, Potsdam, Germany, October 2012.
- A Self-Calibrating Partial Discharge WSN for for Condition Monitoring in the Future Smart Grid, JMR de Souza Neto, JS da Rocha Neto, L Chang, R Atkinson, and IA Glover, 3rd IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Europe (ISGT Europe), Berlin, Germany, October 2012, DOI: 10.1109/ISGTEurope.2012.6465622.
- A Kernel Methods Approach to Reducing Handover Occurrences with LTE, N Sinclair, D Harle, IA Glover and RC Atkinson, European Wireless Conference (EW2012), Poznan, Poland, April 2012.
- Economic Aspects of Intelligent Network Selection: A Game-Theoretic Approach, J Konka, R Atkinson, and J Irvine, International Conference on Mobile Ubiquitous Computing, Systems, Services and Technologies (UBICOMM 2011), Lisbon, Portugal, November 2011.
- Traffic Generation of IEC 61850 Sampled Values, JW Konka, CM Arthur, FJ Garcia, and RC Atkinson, IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications, Brussels, Belgium, October 2011.
- Vulnerability of Zigbee to Impulsive Noise in Electricity Substations, SA Bhatti, Q Shan, R Atkinson, M Viera and IA Glover, 30th Union Radio-Scientifique Internationale (URSI) General Assembly and Scientific Symoposium, Istanbul, Turkey, August 2011.
- Development of a multiple-input multiple output ultrawideband system emulator, G Tsao, K Sasloglou, L Petropoulakis, R Atkinson and I Glover, Postgraduate Symposium on the convergence of telecommunications, networking and broadcasting (PGNet 2011), Liverpool, England, June 2011.
- Vulnerability of Bluetooth to Impulsive Noise in Electricity Transmission Substations, SA Bhatti, IA Glover, R Atkinson, Q Shan, Y Yang, JMR de S Neto and JS da Rocha Neto, IET International Conference on Wireless Sensor Networks, Beijing, China, pp. 53-58, November 2010.
- Downlink TCP Performance Enhancement at Handoff for FMIPv6-enabled Nodes, J Espi, R Atkinson, D Harle, I Andonovic, and C Arthur, IEEE 21st International Symposium on Personal Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC'10), Istanbul, Turkey, pp. 2266-2270, September 2010.
- An Optimum Network Selection Solution for Multihomed Hosts using Hopfield Networks, J Espi, R Atkinson, D Harle, and I Andonovic, International Conference on Networks 2010 (ICN2010), Menuires, France, April 2010.
- Empirical Modelling and Simulation of Transmission Loss between Wireless Sensor Nodes in Gas Turbine Engines, K Sasloglou, IA Glover, P Dutta, R Atkinson, I Andonovic, and G Whyte, 7th International Conference on Information, Communications and Signal Processing 2009 (ICICS2009), Macau, December 2009..
- A Channel Model for Wireless Sensor Networks in Gas Turbine Engines, K Sasloglou, I Glover, P Dutta, R Atkinson, I Andonovic, and G Whyte, Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference 2009 (LAPC2009), Loughborough, UK, November 2009.
- Proactive Route Optimization for Fast Mobile IPv6, J Espi, R Atkinson, I Andonovic, and J Dunlop, IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference Fall 2009, Anchorage, Alaska, September 2009.
- Noise Amplitude Distribution of Impulsive Noise from Measurements in an Electricity Substation, Q Shan, S Bahatti, I Glover, R Atkinson, P Moore, I Portugues, R Rutherford, 4th International Universities' Power Engineering Conference (UPEC2009), Glasgow, UK, September 2009.
- Characteristics of Impulsive Noise in Electricity Substations, Q Shan, S Bhatti, I Glover, R Atkinson, I Portugues, P Moore, R Rutherford, 17th European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO2009), Glasgow, UK, August 2009.
- Impulsive Noise Modelling And Prediction Of Its Impact On The Performance Of WLAN Receiver, S Bhatti, Q Shan, I Glover, R Atkinson, I Portugues, P Moore, R Rutherford, 17th European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO2009), Glasgow, UK, August 2009.
- Detection of Ultra-Wide-Band Impulsive Noise In A 400 kV Air Insulated Electricity Substation, Q Shan, IA Glover, S Bhatti, R Atkinson, IE Portugues, PJ Moore, R Rutherford, 20th International Conference and Exhibition on Electricity Distribution(CIRED09), Prague, Czech Republic, June 2009.
- Extraction Of Impulsive Noise From Measurements In A 400kV Electricity Substation, Q Shan, S Bhatti, I Glover, R Atkinson, I Portugues, P Moore, R Rutherford, 4th IASME/WSEAS International Conference On Energy And Environment, Cambridge, UK, February 2009.
- Towards Always Best Connected Multi-Access: the MULTINET Approach, Q Wang, R Atkinson, J Dunlop, International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC2008), Crete, Greece, August 2008.
- Laboratory Assessment of WLAN Performance Degradation in the Presence of Impulsive Noise, Q Shan, I Glover, P Moore, I Portugues, R Watson, R Rutherford, R Atkinson, S Bhatti, International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC2008), Crete, Greece, August 2008.
- Policy-Based Multihoming Support in the MULTINET Architecture, Q Wang, R Atkinson, J Espi Aleman, J Dunlop, BroadBand Europe 2007, December 2007, Antwerp, Belgium.
- Multinet: Enabler for Next Generation Enterprise Wireless Services, N Bilbao, L Aginako, O Lazaro de Barrio, T Hof, C Bonnet, P Vaquero, S del al Maza, RC Atkinson, B Molina, J O'Flahery, R Mazza, eChallenges 2007, October 2007, The Hague, Netherlands.
- Design and Evaluation of Dynamic Policy-based Flow Redirection for Multihomed Mobile Networks, T Hof, Q Wang, R Atkinson and J Dunlop, Proc. 9th International Conference on Mobile Wireless Communications Networks 2007, Cork, Ireland, September 2007, pp66-70.
- Multinet: Enabler for Next Generation Pervasive Wireless Services, O Lazaro, A Gonzalez, L Aginako, T Hof, F Filali, R Atkinson, S de la Maza, P Vaquero, B Molina, J O'Flaherty, R Mazza, Proc. 16th IST Summit on Mobile and Wireless Communications 2007, Budapest, Hungary, July 2007, pp1-5.
- Hybrid User- and Network-Initiated Flow Handoff Support for Multihomed Hosts, Q Wang, R Atkinson, C Cromar and J Dunlop, VTC Spring 2007, Dublin, Ireland, April 2007.
- Interferometric Noise Characterisation of a 2-D Time Spreading Wavelength Hopping OCDMA Networks using FBG Encoding/Decoding, C Michie, R Atkinson, I Andonovic, I Glesk, P Prucnal, K Sasaki and G Gupta, International Conference on Transparent Optical Networks (ICTON2007), pp. 114-117, July 2007, Rome, Italy.
- Multinet: Enabler for Next Generation Services, O Lazaro, A Gonzalez, L Aginako, T Hof, F Sidoti, P Vaquero, S de la Maza, R Atkinson, C Palau, J O’Flaherty and C Bonnet, Wireless World Research Forum, WWRF17, Heidelberg, Germany November 2006.
- Leader Election in a Personal Distributed Environment, D Pearce, J Dunlop and RC Atkinson, Personal Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC2005), September 2005, Berlin, Germany.
- The Mobile VCE Architecture for the Interworking of Mobile and Broadcast Networks, P Pangalos, K A Chew, N Sattari, A Tomlinson, R Atkinson, H Aghvami, and R Tafazolli, European Wireless 2005, Cyprus, April 2005.
- Personal Distributed Environment in the Context of Reconfigurability, R C Atkinson, J Irvine, T E Dodgson, and S Vadgama, WWRF, Jeju, Korea, March 2005.
- A Personal Networking Solution, R C Atkinson, J Irvine & J Dunlop, MAGNET Workshop, Shanghai, November 2004.
- The Personal Distributed Environment, R C Atkinson, J Dunlop, J Irvine & S Vadgama, Wireless Personal Multimedia Communications Conference (WPMC-04), Abano Terme, Italy, September 2004.
- Trust Architecture for Personal Distributed Environment, S Goo, J Irvine, R Atkinson & J Dunlop, VTC-04 Fall, Los Angeles, USA, September 2004.
- Location Privacy and the Personal Distributed Environment, R Atkinson, S Goo & J Irvine, International Symposium on Wireless Communication Systems, Mauritius, September 2004.
- Securing Personal Distributed Environments, S K Goo, J M Irvine, R C Atkinson & J Dunlop, Wireless World Research Forum, Zurich, Switzerland, July 2003.
- Personal Distributed Environment – Securing the Dynamic Service Platforms Beyond 3G, S K Goo, J M Irvine, R C Atkinson & J Dunlop, Proc. 3G 2003 Communications Technologies, London, UK, June 2003.
- A Personal Distributed Environment for Future Mobile Systems, J Dunlop, R C Atkinson, J Irvine & D Pearce, IST 2003, Aveiro, Portugal, June 2003.
- A Resource Management Architecture for Future Mobile Communications Systems, RC Atkinson, JM Irvine and J Dunlop, Proc. IST 2002, Thessaloniki, Greece, June 2002.
- A DCA Algorithm for Indoor Personal Communications, R C Atkinson & J Dunlop, Proc. EPMCC 2001, Vienna, Austria, February 2001.
- Fair Resource Management in Diverse Cellular Systems, J Irvine, G LeBodic, R Atkinson & D Weerakoon, Proc. VTC-2000 Fall, Boston, USA, September 2000.
- Potential for Mobile Coverage Improvement in Urban Environments, R C Atkinson & J Dunlop, Proc. ICUPC’98 Florence, Italy, October 1998.
- ZigBee Performance in 400 KV Air Insulated Power Substation, Chapter in Book: Technological Developments in Education and Automation, Q Shan, IA Glover, PJ Moore, IE Portugues, R Rutherford, R Atkinson, S Bhatti, and RJ Watson, Springer Netherlands, 2010, pp 15-18, ISBN-13: 978-90-481-3656-8
- Proactive Route Optimization for FMIPv6, Internet Engineering Task Force, Internet-draft draft-espi-ietf-mipshop-profmipv6-00.txt, J Espi, and R Atkinson, March 2010
- HWN* Framework Towards 4G Mobile Communications Networks, Chapter in Book: Fourth-Generation Wireless Networks: Applications and Innovations, C Shen, D Pesch, R Atkinson & W Du, Information Science Publishing, December 2009, ISBN-10: 1615206744 , ISBN-13: 978-1615206742
- Mobile Communications Networks, European Patent EP 1 264 503 B1, J Dunlop, D Girma, J Irvine, RC Atkinson & G LeBodic, granted December 2006
Dr Robert C Atkinson obtained a BEng(Hons) degree in Electronic and Electrical Engineering from the University of Strathclyde in 1993, he subsequently obtained an MSc in Communications, Control and Digital Signal Processing in 1995 and a PhD in Mobile Communications Systems in 2003 from the same institution. He has operated as an active researcher in a number of industrially focused research programmes, most notably as a Lead Researcher in the UK's Mobile VCE Personal Distributed Environment Work Area. His European research projects include the FP6 funded project, Multinet. His active research interests include Next Generation Networking paradigms, Future Internet Technologies, Mobility Management Protocols, Wireless Characterisation, Autonomic Networking, and emerging 4G systems. He is a Member of the IET and a Senior Member of the IEEE.