I am a lecturer in the MSP group in the Department of Computer and Information Sciences. I am interested in quantum computation, the foundations of quantum mechanics, category theory and its application in computer science, logic and physics, and graphical techniques for reasoning.
I initiated the quantomatic project, which aims to produce a graphical theorem prover, intended for reasoning about quantum systems.
I am organised the 9th Quantum Physics and Logic workshop, which took place in Brussels 10-12 October 2012.
- Pivoting makes the ZX-calculus complete for real stabilzers, Ross Duncan and Simon Perdrix presented at QPL 2013 arXiv:1307.7048
- Verifying the Steane code with Quantomatic, Ross Duncan and Maxime Lucas presented at QPL 2013 arXiv:1306.4532
- Classifying all mutually unbiased bases in Rel, Julia Evans, Ross Duncan, Alex Lang, Prakash Panangaden arXiv:0909.4453
- Symmetry, Compact Closure and Dagger Compactness for Categories of Convex Operational Models, Barnum H., R. Duncan and A. Wilce., Journal of Philosophical Logic, 42 (2013) 3, Springer DOI: 10.1007/s10992-013-9280-8
- Tutorial: Graphical Calculus for Quantum Circuits, Coecke, B. and R. Duncan, in Reversible Computation, 4th International Workshop, RC 2012, Lecture Notes in Computer Science vol 7581, Springer, 2013 DOI:10.1007/978-3-642-36315-3_1
- Strong complementarity and non-locality in categorical quantum mechanics, Coecke, B., R. Duncan, A. Kissinger, and Q. Wang, in Logic in Computer Science 2012, IEEE Computer Society, 2012 DOI:10.1109/LICS.2012.35
- A Graphical Approach to Measurement-Based Quantum Computing, Ross Duncan, in C. Heunen, M. Sadrzadeh and E. Greffenstette (eds), Quantum Physics and Linguistics: A Compositional, Diagrammatic Discourse, Oxford University Press, 2013. ISBN: 9780199646296. Arxiv: 1203.6242
- Interacting Quantum Observables: Categorical Algebra and Diagrammatics, Bob Coecke and Ross Duncan, New J. Phys. 13 (2011) 043016 DOI: 10.1088/1367-2630/13/4/043016 PDF
- Rewriting measurement-based quantum computations with generalised flow, Ross Duncan and Simon Perdrix, in Abramsky et al., (ed.s) Proceedings of ICALP 2010 Part II, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 6199, pp285-296, Springer, 2010. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-14162-1_24 PDF
- Open Graphs and Computational Reasoning, Lucas Dixon,Ross Duncan and Aleks Kissinger, Electronic Proceedings in Theoretical Computer Science, vol 26, pp169-180, 2010 DOI: 10.4204/EPTCS.26.16 PDF
- Generalised Proof-Nets for Compact Categories with Biproducts, Ross Duncan, in Gay and Mackie (ed.s) Semantic Techniques in Quantum Computation, Cambridge University Press, 2010, ISBN: 9780521513746 arXiv:0903.5154 PDF
- Graphical Reasoning in Compact Closed Categories for Quantum Computation, Lucas Dixon and Ross Duncan, Annals of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence vol 56 (1) pp23-42. 2009, DOI: 10.1007/s10472-009-9141-x PDF
- Graph States and the necessity of the Euler decoposition, Ross Duncan and Simon Perdrix, in Ambos-Spies et al., (ed.s) Proceedings of CIE 2009, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 5635, pp285-296, Springer, 2009. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-03073-4 PDF
- Interacting Quantum Observables, Bob Coecke and Ross Duncan , in Aceto et al., (ed.s) Proceedings of ICALP 2008 Part II, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 5126, pp209-310, Springer, 2008. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-540-70583-3_25 PDF NOTE: this paper is superceded by the paper above with (almost) the same name.
- A Categorical Quantum Logic, Samson Abramsky and Ross Duncan Mathematical Structures in Computer Science, vol 16 (3) pp469-489, 2006, DOI: 10.1017/S0960129506005275 PDF
My thesis was the runner-up for the British Computer Society's prize, Distinguished Dissertations in Theoretical Computer Science. You can dowload it here: Types for Quantum Computing
Some talks I have given can be found here.
- Email : email@example.com
- Telephone : +44 141 548 3301
- Post: Ross Duncan
Department of Computer and Information Science
University of Strathclyde
26 Richmond St.
Glasgow G1 1XH